[ARENA] CPF - Surveys on Vernacular Architecture International Conference

Miguel Silva Graça msg sapo.pt
Domingo, 29 de Janeiro de 2012 - 10:31:55 WET

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "CEAA | Surveys on Vernacular Architecture Conference" <surveysonvernaculararch  gmail.com>
> Subject: CPF - Surveys on Vernacular Architecture International Conference

International Conference

SURVEYS ON VERNACULAR ARCHITECTURE. Their significance in 20th century architectural culture

May 17-19, 2012

CEAA | Centro de Estudos Arnaldo Araújo (FCT uRD 4041)

Escola Superior Artística do Porto (ESAP), Porto, Portugal

The Survey on Regional Architecture, commonly known as the Survey, promoted by the Portuguese Architects’ Union, benefitting from official government support, was carried out between 1955 and 1960 and was conducted by some of the Portuguese modern architects.

A survey on vernacular architecture, entitled Inquérito à Arquitectura Regional Portuguesa [Survey on Regional Architecture in Portugal] was promoted by the Architects’ Union between 1955 and 1960. It benefited from official government support and was conducted by some of the main modern architects. It come out as a two volume book – Popular Architecture in Portugal – published in 1961 and reprinted in 1979, 1988 and 2004.

Taken from the outset as being able to provide “the basis for an honest, active and healthy regionalism” (Keil do Amaral, 1947), the Survey, and the book it prompted, had great influence on Portuguese architectural culture. As it was accomplished in an historical turning point, when some of the principles of Modern Movement were being critically reviewed both nationally and internationally, the Survey’s outcomes encouraged modern architects to recover national history and tradition.

Moreover, the Portuguese Survey on vernacular architecture constitutes a remarkable register of the ancient rural country at the exact moment it was about to disappear. This fact would also guarantee its importance to other fields of study, such as anthropology, history, and photography.

In association with an ongoing research project Popular Architecture in Portugal. A critical look (FCT: PTDC/AUR-AQI/099063; COMPETE: FCOMP-01-0124-FEDER-008832), this conference aims to understand the Portuguese case in the international cultural context and discuss the background, conditions, methodologies, published results, effects and the significance of such kind of surveys in the 20th century architecture and architectural thought.

Proposals for papers should consider the following elements:

Title of the proposal
Applicant’s identification (name, institution, country, position and email)
Abstracts (should not exceed 300 words).
Short curriculum vitae (should not exceed 300 words)
All proposals must present original research, and must not have been previously published. Presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes and the official language of the conference is UK English.

Proposals must be sent in word (.doc format) by email to surveysonvernaculararch  gmail.com

Conference Schedule:

Deadline for abstract submission February 24, 2012

Notification of acceptance of abstract March 12, 2012

Deadline for full paper submission April 26, 2012

Registration May 2, 2012

Conference May 17-19, 2012

Conference Registration Fees: 175 Euros

The conference fees will include lunches, opening cocktail , coffee breaks and seminar package with conference proceeding.

Publication Proceedings:

Conference papers will be published in the conference proceeding CD with ISBN.

The guidelines for full paper will be sooner available. To make it easier for authors the document for author guidelines may be used as a template. It is crucially important to know that only papers formatted according to the guidelines can be accepted for publication. The other condition for publication is that at least one author of the paper is registered for the conference.

Additionally, a signed “copyright license agreement” form must be sent at the same time of the paper submission.

After de conference, a selection of papers strictly related with the theme of our research project, will be chosen for an edited peer review book.

The authors of the selected papers may have some revisions to be made upon the reviewer(s) comments.

Conference Organizing Committee:

Alexandra Cardoso, Joana Cunha Leal e Maria Helena Maia

This conference is co-funded with FEDER funds by the Operational Competitiveness Programme – COMPETE and national funds by FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the project Popular Architecture in Portugal. A critical look (FCT: PTDC/AUR-AQI/099063; COMPETE: FCOMP-01-0124-FEDER-008832)