[ARENA] Drawing Spaces | 8 POSSIBILITIES OF MAKING DRAWING - Series of Workshops | 15 to 25 September 2010

Manuela São Simão manuelasaosimao gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 9 de Setembro de 2010 - 18:15:42 WEST

*www.drawingspaces.weebly.com*

* *

*8 Possibilities of making drawing*

*Series of workshops*

* *

*15 – 25 September 2010, Drawing Spaces-Espaços do Desenho*

*Coordinators: Eduardo Salavisa and Teresa Carneiro*

* *

*Opening/Project Presentation: Saturday, 25 September, 21.30h*

*Debate between Eduardo Salavisa and participant artists***

* *

*8 Possibilities of making drawing **is a project that responds to the
dynamics of Drawing Spaces by presenting a series of public workshops
coordinated by a variety of experts in the field of drawing. These workshops
will take place during opening hours – from Wednesday to Saturday, from 19h
to 23h – following the ‘open residence’ model. This will give the
opportunity to the public to daily visit and accompany the development of
these experimental sessions around drawing.*

*Drawing an action, drawing an installation*

*Wednesday, 15 September, from 19h to 23h*
I invite the participants to imagine a [mental] map with which they can
identify themselves. Using tape we will mark on the wall and/or floor of the
space the limits-of-a-territory-of-action. The space will be our support for
intervention to draw/map out. We move ourselves within it, drawing paths and
plans. We may simultaneously sketch on the wall and/or paper. During this
process we will be producing a performative processual action which will
leave its traces on the space.

*Coordinator – Manuela São Simão*

*Born in São Paulo, Brasil, 1980.* Has a degree in Fine Arts: Painting by
the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Oporto. Is engaged with
multidisciplinary projects crossing areas such as visual arts, performance,
sound and radio art. Has presented several projects in Festivals, such as at
‘Future Places’ and at ‘Serralves in Party’, both in 2009, Oporto. This year
she presented a performance project at the Silence Festival [Garden of
Sounds – Goethe Institut Lisbon] through an installation called “Gibberish”
which was developed in collaboration with the composer and musician Pedro
Lopes.

*Urban Circuit*
*Thursday, 16 September, from 19h to 23h*
Short urban circuit, outdoors, which will aim to follow the changes of light
as evening arises.

Drawings of spots and contrasts, throughout the passage of light from day to
night.

Black on white and white on black.

*Coordinator - João Catarino*
Has been teaching Drawing and Design since 1995 at Ar.co and Illustration at
CIEAM at the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon.

Studied at the Antonio Arroio School and got a Degree in Communication
Design by the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon.

*Graphic Diaries*
*Friday, 17 September, from 19h to 23h*
Presentation of personal graphic diaries from the artist, addressing the
evolution in time of a graphic diary in terms of methods and materials.
Exchanging joys and difficulties in the different experiences with graphic
diaries. Experimentation with several ways of registering in graphic
diaries.

*Coordinator - Pedro Cabral*
Has a degree in Architecture (1978) by the Faculty of Fine Arts, University
of Lisbon. Draws, sails and hikes.

*Hunger of Drawing*
*Saturday, 18 September, from 19h to 23h*
During this session I propose to draw with ingredients which we can normally
find in our fridge – olive oil, honey, blackberries, beet, among others.
Drawing, painting and cooking have indeed much in common: the method, the
improvisation, the time, the performance, the appeal to the senses.

*Coordinator - Francisco Pinheiro*
Fine Art Artist that researches on the relation of drawing and painting and
knowledge related to plants, nature and cinema, Has run several workshops at
art schools and art centers, such as Casa da Cerca, Gulbenkian Foundation
and CAMB (Alges).

*Drawing Narratives*
*Wednesday, 22 September, from 19h to 23h*
The use of a graphic diary as a tool to recognize the urban space and its
surroundings: experimenting with sequential drawing and analytical diagrams.
Making drawings at several spaces of Fábrica Braço de Prata.

**

*Coordinator - José Louro*
Has a degree in Equipment Design by IADE. Holds a Master Degree in Drawing
by the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon. Has been teaching since
1989. Participates regularly in exhibitions, conferences, workshops and
encounters related to the theme ‘Graphic Diary’. Coordinator of the
Post-Graduate course in ‘Graphic Diaries’ at IADE.

**

*Drawing as discipline for a social way of looking*

*Thursday, 23 September, from 19h to 23h*
The graphic register as a tool to record field work (an investigative aid
and complement for museum research). Examples of field drawings by
geographers, anthropologists, historians, museum situations and drawings by
the author will be presented. The participants will experience drawing as a
discipline of a particular way of looking by a social researcher.

*Coordinator - Ângela Luzia*
Historian. Responsible for the Museum and Heritage Services at the Almada
Council.

*Drawing of Archeological Artifacts*
*Friday, 24 September, from 19h to 23h*
In archeology Artifacts are drawn through specific conventions and
techniques. This is an opportunity for the participants to practice
archeological drawing, while learning about tools and different conventions
which have been used for archeological illustration.

In partnership with the Iberic Institute of Heritage (neighbors of Drawing
Spaces), we will work with archeological materials provided by the
Institute.

*Coordinator - Guida Casella*
Holds a degree in Painting by the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon
and a Master Degree in Archeological Illustration by the University of Bath,
United Kingdom. Produces work in illustration in the fields of Archeology
and Heritage in collaboration with different research teams and museums.

*Drawing – perception and act*
*Saturday, 25 September, from 19h to 23*
This session will explore memory and the processing of visual stimuli. In
other words, drawing as an emulation of the perceptive experience through
memory.

*Coordinator - Filipe Leal de Faria*
Born in Lisbon in 1976. Architect. Investigates the role of daily drawing in
the field of Architecture.

*Information/registration:*
workshopsdedesenho  gmail.com
916497704/ 966461721

*Drawing Spaces-Espaços do Desenho, Fábrica Braço de Prata*

Rua da Fábrica do Material de Guerra, nº1, 1950 – 128, Lisbon

Website: *www.drawingspaces.weebly.com *  Email: *
drawingspaces  googlemail.com*

Facebook:* http://www.facebook.com/drawingspaces.espacosdodesenho*

Fabrica Braço de Prata: *http://www.bracodeprata.com*

--
Manuela São Simão

http://manuelasaosimao-projects.blogspot.com
http://editmakemix.blogspot.com
mobile: (+351) 936 756 991 |  (+351) 911862658