[ARENA] Fw: [radicalphilosophy] Save Middlesex Philosophy Campaign

UNNEEDED OFFICE office unneeded.virose.pt
Quinta-Feira, 27 de Maio de 2010 - 23:12:51 WEST

>> De : "radicalphilosophy" <radicalphilosophy  yahoo.com>
>> Date : 27 mai 2010 12:03:33 HAEC
>> À : radicalphilosophy  yahoogroups.com
>> Objet : [radicalphilosophy] Save Middlesex Philosophy Campaign
>> Répondre à : radicalphilosophy-owner  yahoogroups.com
>>

>> As many of you will already know, two members of the Radical
>> Philosophy collective - Peter Hallward and Peter Osborne - have
>> been suspended from their jobs at Middlesex University, along with
>> several students, as a result of their campaigning against the
>> closure of the Philosophy Department there. We would urge all our
>> readers and subscribers to support the campaign against this
>> scandalous action in any way they can.
>>
>> Yesterday morning, May 26th, Osborne and Hallward were denied
>> managerial permission to attend an emergency meeting of their
>> union, the UCU, scheduled for Friday 28 May. They were also denied
>> permission to attend the UCU annual general meeting scheduled for
>> next Wednesday, and a meeting of the University's self-constituted
>> Professors Group.
>>
>> Collective pressure to greylist i.e. boycott Middlesex University
>> is growing rapidly. The external examiners for the Middlesex
>> Philosophy department have already announced their refusal to
>> collaborate with next month's assessment boards, and colleagues in
>> other departments may soon follow suit. A boycott by external
>> examiners will have a significant and immediate impact on the
>> University. The poet Michael Rosen has already renounced his
>> visiting professor at Middlesex.
>>
>> John Protevi and Todd May have posted a petition calling for an
>> international academic boycott of Middlesex University, http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/academic-boycott-of-middlesex-university.html
>> Several hundred well-placed people have already signed it, in the
>> space of a few hours. Please spread the word about this, far & wide.
>>
>>  Confirmed speakers for a rally at Hendon on Thursday 27 May from
>> 4pm include Alex Callinicos (KCL), Richard George (Campaign for
>> Better Transport; Plane Stupid), Paul Gilroy (LSE), Nina Power
>> (Roehampton), Jim Wolfreys (UCU), among others. Please circulate
>> the rally announcement and flyer (http://savemdxphil.com/) to
>> everyone who might
>> be sympathetic.
>>
>> David Cunningham
>> Radical Philosophy

UNNEEDED CONVERSATIONS - Practice and Theory of Art
Part One | Porto, 10th-15th May 2010
<http://unneeded.fba.up.pt/>
<office  unneeded.virose.pt>

Faculdade de Belas Artes da Universidade do Porto | Faculty of Fine
Arts - University of Porto
Avenida Rodrigues de Freitas - 265  |  4049-021 Porto Portugal
Room PA 406
http://www.fba.up.pt
t: +351 225192400