[ARENA] Call: Art of the Overhead Festival, Malmoe, 15 - 31 May 2009

Andreas Broeckmann ab mikro.in-berlin.de
Segunda-Feira, 23 de Março de 2009 - 09:42:35 WET

From: Kristoffer Gansing <kristoffer.gansing  mah.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:45:08 +0100

*   T H E   A R T   O F   T H E   O V E R H E A D *   2 o o 9   *
http://www.overheads.org

Call for Overheads

We are happy to announce "OHPen Surface" - the 2009 edition of the
Art of the Overhead Festival featuring an exhibition, performances
and workshops in Malmö, Sweden May 15 - 31 2009.

This years festival will take place at Stapelbäddsparken, a former
Shipbuilding slipway featuring 3000m2 of largely underground areas in
Malmö, Sweden. The "OHpen Surface" theme then, refers not only to the
OHpen Surface of the Overhead projector but also the physical
location and organisational workshop-based structure of the festival
itself. However, with this framework we also aim to encourage a
critical reflection on how technological standards, such as the
Overhead projector, relates to the dynamic of open and closed which
is so pervasive in the standards of today's networked media culture
(read on below for more details on the festival theme).

We are now welcoming submissions for the OHPen Surface workshop and/
or festival in the following categories:

* Transparencies for The Art of the Overhead Archive (physical or as
PDF's for printing). The archive is a wall-mounted installation where
folders containing the different works can be browsed and projected
by the audience.

* Installation, works incorporating overhead projection, custom built
projectors, digital-analogue hybrids etc.

* Performances, live performances incorporating overhead projectors.
 From live cinema, vj acts or different kinds of kinetic-sound
generation to the good old conference presentation.

Deadline for submissions is March 30, 2009 - use our "Submit" PDF on the
http://www.overheads.org website for contributions in any of the
above categories.

* Projects for OHPen Surface Workshop:
For work-in-progress (or more or less finished works which require
some time for preparation) you may apply for our workshop week which
will run from May 15 until the opening weekend May 22-23. (NB: you do
not need to be present the whole week, please state how many days
you'd like to participate) This part of the festival is organised in
collaboration with "Kunst und Musik mit dem
Tageslichtsprojektor" (derstrudel.org, Ralf Schreiber and Tina
Tonagel) from Köln and focuses on low-tech DIY appopriations and
performative uses of the Overhead projector.

*** O H P e n   S u r f a c e   -   F e s t i v a l   T h e m e   2 0
0 9 ***

"The reason for why we used simple overhead projectors was because of
their open surface, where you could directly work with your materials."
- Joshua White of Joshua Light Show.

Through performances, installations, workshops and a growing archive
of overhead transparencies, the festival reflects on the different
practices connected to the history of the overhead projector, from
the bureaucratic and educational settings of the classroom or
business conference to the counter-culture context of the 1960's and
onwards to the contemporary media culture. The overhead prepared us
for the cognitive structure of PowerPoint, teaching us the importance
of keywords, summaries, bullet-lists, illustrative pictures and a
straightforward way of presentation. In short, the overhead as a
device for instruction is a disciplinary technology. But there are
other histories of the Overhead projector as well: from the 1940's it
was a standard equipment in Bowling alleys for the projection of
players scores and later in the 1950's and 1960's it was appropriated
by beatniks and hippies to create psychedelic "light shows".

This edition of the media-archaeological festival The Art of the
Overhead is centered around the theme of the OHPen Surface, aiming at
a critical reflection on the role of standards in the contemporary
mediascape. The overhead projector is a clearly recognisable standard
for the art of projection: it comes with institutional disciplinary
settings such as the school or the business enterprise and with
regulatory frameworks of presentation both of the material (such as
the illuminated surface and the transparency) and the mental/
cognitive kind (presentation guidelines, the do's and don'ts of
instruction). In our culture of increasingly integrated networks of
data flows, standards take on a pivotal role, from legal frameworks
to file formats and communication protocols, we are surrounded by the
institutions of cultural production that they bring about. What is
important to remember is that while all these areas define different
models of the "Open", they, as all standards do, also leave some
other paths closed. How can such tensions be revealed and acted-
reflected upon in artistic production?

With this call for contributions for The Art of the Overhead 2009 -
we encourage artists and other media practitioners to depart from the
Overhead projector as a standardized technology which has the
potential for re-activation by way of its near outdated character.
This entails reflection-as-projection, deploying the Overhead
projector in the double sense of projection described by Siegfried
Zielinski: as both casting out images representing the world and as a
shaping movement, a production or rather a visionary pro-jecting of
reality as delimited by how we see it through the image. To work in
one media, criticizing another, or reflecting across a whole domain
of media culture through a particular and well-known technological
institution is a kind of non-digitalisable cultural practice that The
Art of the Overhead is all about, and through the OHPen Surface we
call for works that engage in this dynamic.

AbOHut
The Art of the Overhead is an international media art festival, which
took place for the first time in Copenhagen September-October 2005.
Since then it has been followed by various exhibitions and workshops,
inspiring the collaborating offshoot project "Kunst und Musik mit dem
Tageslichtsprojektor" in Cologne 2007. Now we join forces and return
to Scandinavia for a 2009 edition in Malmö, Sweden.

cOHntact
Concept and Coordinators: Linda Hilfling & Kristoffer Gansing
OHpen Surface is managed by the cultural association The Art of the
Overhead which is based in the Öresund region and supported by
Framtidens Kultur and Malmö Stad.

info  overheads.org    http://www.overheads.org

Adress:
The Art of the Overhead
C/O Kristoffer Gansing
K3 School of Arts and Communication
Malmö University
205 06 Malmö Sweden

                 O  H  P  E  N     S  U  R  F  A  C  E

                OHOH        OHOH      OH          OH
              /OH   OH     OH  OH     OH          OH
             / OH   OH    OH    OH    OH          OH
            /  OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
   ___     /   OH        OH      OH   OH          OH
//  /    /    OH        OH      OH   OH          OH
|\\_\    \    OH        OHOHOHOHOH   OH          OH
|         \   OH        OHOHOHOHOH   OH          OH
|          \  OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
|_______    \ OH   OH   OH      OH   OH          OH
|========    \OH   OH   OH      OH   OHOHOHOHOH  OHOHOHOHOH
|        |     OHOH     OH      OH   OHOHOHOHOH  OHOHOHOHOH
|========        F  O  R     O  V  E  R  H  E  A  D  S
|      |
|      |
o      o

*   T H E   A R T   O F   T H E   O V E R H E A D *   2 o o 9   *
http://www.overheads.org
* Workshops, Exhibition and Performances * May 15 - 31 *
Stapelbäddsparken, Malmö, Sweden *