[ARENA] INFECTED: VIRAL CALL for VIRAL WORK

Luis Silva silva.luis netcabo.pt
Terça-Feira, 13 de Janeiro de 2009 - 14:36:08 WET

Hello everyone,

just wanted to let you know about this project I'm doing for LX 2.0, in
partnership with KURATOR. I'm attaching the document with the info about the
commissions and the residencies for the winners. Could you pass this to
people you think may be interested? Also, since this is a VIRAL CALL, I
would like to ask if you could forward this to anyone you think relevant in
the field so we get an infection going :)

Many thanks,

Best,
Luis

*KURATOR and LX 2.0: Commissions and Residencies 2009*

*INFECTED: VIRAL CALL for VIRAL WORK*

Artist commissions for 'Anti-Bodies: Beyond The Body-Ideal', the South West

Cultural Olympiad, UK

 *
*

*DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: 31 JANUARY 2009*, sent by email to *
info  kurator.org*

ANNOUNCEMENT OF SELECTED PROPOSALS: 19 FEBRUARY 2009,

in conjunction with the launch of 'Anti-Bodies: Beyond The Body-Ideal'

http://www.anti-bodies.net/

*KURATOR and LX 2.0* are looking for a new work to infect the Olympics.

We will commission two online projects that respond to the idea of the
'virus' for 'Anti-Bodies: Beyond The Body-Ideal', a series of projects that
reflect on the ideal 'body-machine' of the Olympic athlete. By virus we mean
to draw attention to any agent that is able to reproduce itself and spread
over communications networks and infect the host body. For instance, a
computer virus describes the self-reproducing activities of a program that
can simply spread and affect other programs, and thereby reflects the
structural properties of the computer and the network it operates through.
Moreover, the cultural form of a virus embodies the principles of negation
in keeping with the anti-bodies theme.

There are a number of precedents for artists dealing with the virus as
metaphor in the broadest sense. An example is the 'biennale.py' virus that
contaminated the Venice Biennale's web site (produced by
0100101110101101.org with epidemiC, for the Slovenian pavilion of 2000). For
the programmer Jaromil, the source code of a virus is potential lyrical
poetry. Related to this, the elegance of his Unix shell 'forkbomb' (2002)
encapsulates this aesthetic approach in presenting only thirteen characters
to dramatic effect. Once entered into the command line of a Unix shell and
run, the program exhausts the system's resources, causing the computer to
crash. It was also included in the exhibition 'I Love You: Computer, Viren,
Hacker, Kultur' (held at the Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Frankfurt am Main,
in 2002), referring to the 'I Love You' virus (of 2000) that spread through
the communities of the Internet. The destructive potential of a virus
operates in the spirit of auto-destruction and Dadaist tactics to negate the
destructive tendencies of the social world.

 The commission fee is UK£1000. In addition, the artists will be offered a
short residency (up to 10 days) to develop the work with the Art & Social
Technologies Research group at the University of Plymouth in UK (
http://www.art-social.net). Accommodation and travel will be covered (up to
UK£500 /per commission).

The proposal should include:
- name, contact details, url
- short description of the proposed work (up to 500 words) including how the
proposal fits/responds to the brief
- specification of the production process/technical data/requirements
- personal statement / short resume of your work with further links (up to
500 words)

*Anti-Bodies* is co-ordinated by *Relational*, supported by Arts Council
England and has been granted the London 2012 Inspire mark as part of the
Cultural Olympiad.