[ARENA] New releases in Crónica

miguel carvalhais miguel carvalhais.org
Segunda-Feira, 2 de Fevereiro de 2009 - 11:05:53 WET

NEW RELEASES: MORTEN RIIS'S "DIGITAL SOUND DRAWINGS" + MARIUS WATZ'S
"CONICAL"

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/?p=039
http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/?p=039l

------------------------------

Crónica is delighted to present the fifth release in the Unlimited
Series, “Digital Sound Drawings” by danish composer Morten Riis.

“Digital Sound Drawings” is a collection of 6 pieces composed through
the drawing of images and their direct conversion into sound. By
literally drawing sounds, Morten Riis presents us carefully hand-
crafted pieces that are in reality audiovisual creations, due to the
great care that was put on composing not only the sound but also the
visual appearance of their waveforms.

This release is distributed as 24 bit 44.1 KHz AIFF files, and the
listener is encouraged to use a wave editor when listening to the
tracks, watching the waveforms as they play.

------------------------------

TRACKLIST:

1.	[d.raw]
2.	[new.s]
3.	[wav.form]
4.	[nor.m]
5.	[raw.d]
6.	[pic.ture]

All tracks composed by Morten Riis.
Cover art by Marius Watz.

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/?p=039

Download for free as AIFF (236MB)
http://download.cronicaelectronica.org/Cronica039-2009-AIFF.zip

------------------------------

THE COMPOSITIONS:

In the recent years the tendency in music software has been to
facilitate usage, including more and more pre-made presets and sound
banks to work from. Consequently, more and more of the actual sound
creation has shifted from the composers’ hand to the music software
programmers’. For me it has been become more and more uninteresting to
use music software to create music because you have to go a long way
to push the software to its limits before you get satisfying results.
That’s why I started to use other not-music-specific software to
create my music. When you work with this type of “data bending” you
achieve a closer relation to how the computer actually handles data,
you work more “under the hood” of the computer, and you must be able
to understand how the different bits and bytes work in the computer,
in order to get what you want.

That’s why I chose to draw my sound material in an image editor.
Working in that way you have control over each sample, you work in an
environment where the standard music terms do not exist, and thereby
force your mind to think outside the box of musical conventions.

------------------------------

THE ARTWORK:

With “Digital Sound Drawings”, Crónica presents the fourth release in
the Limited Series of original artworks. The Limited counterpart to
“Digital Sound Drawings” is ”Conical”, a certified signed and numbered
limited edition of ten 40 x 40 cm archival inkjet prints by Marius Watz.

Conical is an investigation of a 3D form composed of lines that trace
out segments of multiple cones. Seen at a distance, the form becomes a
spatial volume. Zooming in, the sense of volume disappears and the
form becomes a 2D surface. The image resolves into a complex pattern
of optical interference, without any depth cues to indicate its 3D
nature. For ordering, please see:

http://www.cronicaelectronica.org/?p=039l

Each of the 10 signed and numbered pieces is available for 125€ (post
included).

------------------------------

DONATE TO CRÓNICA:

A lot of hard work is invested in these releases and in Crónica’s
operations. We do not believe in DRM and we certainly don’t want to
create any barriers between you and our releases, so, all of the
Unlimited Releases will be free to download, but if you can, please
consider to leave us a small donation for the benefit of both artists
and label. Don’t forget to leave us your address, so that we can send
you a thank you postcard in return.

For more information on Crónica's releases and events, go tohttp://www.cronicaelectronica.org

Subscribe the RSS feed at http://blog.cronicaelectronica.org/ to find
all the news from releases, performances or whatever else may be worth
of notice.