[ARENA] IVO MOREIRA -Gifts form where I've been -preview with the artist @-

Ivo Moreira ivomoreirastudio gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 3 de Agosto de 2009 - 18:08:51 WEST

Altermodern Manifesto

POSTMODERNISM IS DEAD

A new modernity is emerging, reconfigured to an age of globalisation --
understood in its economic, political and cultural aspects: an
altermodern culture

Increased communication, travel and migration are affecting the way we live

Our daily lives consist of journeys in a chaotic and teeming universe

Multiculturalism and identity is being overtaken by creolisation:
Artists are now starting from a globalised state of culture

This new universalism is based on translations, subtitling and
generalised dubbing

Today's art explores the bonds that text and image, time and space,
weave between themselves

Artists are responding to a new globalised perception. They traverse a
cultural landscape saturated with signs and create new pathways between
multiple formats of expression and communication.

The Tate Triennial 2009 at Tate Britain presents a collective discussion
around this premise that postmodernism is coming to an end, and we are
experiencing the emergence of a global altermodernity.

Extended text
Extended...

Travel, cultural exchanges and examination of history are not merely
fashionable themes, but markers of a profound evolution in our vision of
the world and our way of inhabiting it.

More generally, our globalised perception calls for new types of
representation: our daily lives are played out against a more enormous
backdrop than ever before, and  depend now on trans-national entities,
short or long-distance journeys in a chaotic and teeming universe.

Many signs suggest that the historical period defined by postmodernism
is coming to an end: multiculturalism and the discourse of identity is
being overtaken by a planetary movement of creolisation; cultural
relativism and deconstruction, substituted for modernist universalism,
give us no weapons against the twofold threat of uniformity and mass
culture and traditionalist, far-right, withdrawal.

The times seem propitious for the recomposition of a modernity in the
present, reconfigured according to the specific context within which we
live -- crucially in the age of globalisation -- understood in its
economic, political and cultural aspects: an altermodernity.

If twentieth-century modernism was above all a western cultural
phenomenon, altermodernity arises out of planetary negotiations,
discussions between agents from different cultures. Stripped of a
centre, it can only be polyglot. Altermodernity is characterised by
translation, unlike the modernism of the twentieth century which spoke
the abstract language of the colonial west, and postmodernism, which
encloses artistic phenomena in origins and identities.

We are entering the era of universal subtitling, of generalised dubbing.
Today's art explores the bonds that text and image weave between
themselves. Artists traverse a cultural landscape saturated with signs,
creating new pathways between multiple formats of expression and
communication.

The artist becomes 'homo viator', the prototype of the contemporary
traveller whose passage through signs and formats refers to a
contemporary experience of mobility, travel and transpassing. This
evolution can be seen in the way works are made: a new type of form is
appearing, the journey-form, made of lines drawn both in space and time,
materialising trajectories rather than destinations. The form of the
work expresses a course, a wandering, rather than a fixed space-time.

Altermodern art is thus read as a hypertext; artists translate and
transcode information from one format to another, and wander in
geography as well as in history. This gives rise to practices which
might be referred to as 'time-specific', in response to the
'site-specific' work of the 1960s. Flight-lines, translation programmes
and chains of heterogeneous elements articulate each other. Our universe
becomes a territory all dimensions of which may be travelled both in
time and space.*

Nicolas Bourriaud *

*for
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/altermodern/manifesto.shtm

        * Ivo Moreira in invites us in his show at Jorge Shirley Gallery
          (Part I) and Sala do Veado (Part II)- conveniently located
          nearby-, to visit the manners of abstraction trough figurative
          time-specific actions and someone who find their practice in
          the words of Nicolas Bourriaud for the alter-modern Manifesto
          a " /This is now/", I was told by the artist demand.
        * In his paintings he brings together figures and the
          disfigured, drawing and painting, spontaneous impulses and
          well thought-out ideas. They follow a specific method of
          immersion / Subversion. It's our time.
        * Ivo's paintings reveal the entire gamut of his techniques. In
          his murals, large format paintings (Saloons Series) - seen at
          Sala do Veado, MNHN in /part II/ of /Gifts from where I've
          been/, we see the the artist labouring places from the 30's
          and 40's, that he project on canvas and make a new place in
          this time. We visit by this strategy site-specific places in a
          time-specifc period of the action, just like a scene or still.
          He know he is the method and messes around the conformity of
          that reason making tangible a display of vintage daily life
          for the bourgeois in and between the use of  line as an absent
          surface for the gesture. The curious case of how the human
          trace is meaningless expression when visiting the perfection
          of a more graphical approach. Both this gestures, are seen in
          Part I where we can see stretched  . The lines in his
          paintings become form once they brush out the meaning. The
          show /Gifts From where I've been /are seen/ /by the artist as
          "a double feature being both shows, sequentially ordered to
          make both Part I at Jorge Shirley Gallery a naked story, more
          like erotic 70's motion pictures and Life Magazine and Part II
          at Sala do Veado,  naked against the walls different events to
          start with. Both events assemble together an especially
          compelling part from him dueling the canvas, the actors, props
          to make ideal compositions, which he places on equal footing
          with his canvases.

Ivo Moreira
GIFTS FROM WHERE I'VE BEEN Part I / Part II

INAUGURAÇÃO/OPENING

06.08.2009 a 30.08.09
21h30 Galeria Jorge ShirleyPart I

12.08.09 a 30.08.09
21h30 Sala do Veado--Museu Nacional de História NaturalPart II

LANÇAMENTO LIVRO/ BOOK LAUNCH 20.08.2009
21h30 Galeria Jorge Shirley /MNHN--Sala do Veado

Galeria J  o  r  g e S  h  i  r  l  e  y
Espaço Príncipe Real
Rua da Escola Politécnica  21/23, Lisboa   +351 21 386 8496

Sala do Veado
Rua da Escola Politécnica 56/58, Lisboa +351 21 392 1879