[ARENA] LX 2.0's new project by MTAA: Our Political Work

Luis Silva silva.luis netcabo.pt
Quarta-Feira, 17 de Setembro de 2008 - 18:15:08 WEST

*For immediate release:*

Lisboa 20 Arte Contemporânea is launching on September 18th *LX 2.0 Project*
's new comission, the piece* Our Political Work* by Brooklyn-based artists *
MTAA* (http://www.lisboa20.pt/lx20<https://webmail.netcabo.pt/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.lisboa20.pt/lx20>
).

*In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues
are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions,
folly, hatred and schizophrenia.
-- George Orwell*

Continuing a series of computer-driven self-portraits, MTAA's "Our Political
Work" presents the artists in a never-ending state of screaming, yelling,
waiting and sometimes laughing. Using 141 filmed moments, custom software
randomly selects and joins video clips into a seemingly endless array of
undignified action. Begun in 2007 and completed in 2008, "Our Political
Work" creates an open-ended depiction of political discourse as Beckett-like
action.

MTAA (M.River & T.Whid Art Associates) are Michael Sarff (M. River), born
1967, Iowa City, Iowa and Tim Whidden (T.Whid), born 1969, Elyria, Ohio.
Both members of MTAA live and work in Brooklyn, New York

Michael Sarff and Tim Whidden formed the artist collaboration MTAA in 1996.
They are currently preparing a new work commissioned by the San Francisco
Museum of Modern Art <http://www.sfmoma.org/> for the upcoming "The Art of
Participation: 1950 to Now" exhibition opening in November 2008. MTAA has
presented art work and performances at The New Museum of Contemporary
Art<http://www.newmuseum.org/>,
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center <http://www.ps1.org//>, The Whitney Museum of
American Art <http://www.whitney.org/>, Postmasters
Gallery<http://www.postmastersart.com/>and Artists
Space <http://www.artistsspace.org/>, all in New York city; The Walker Art
Center <http://www.walkerart.org/> in Minneapolis; The Beall Center for Art
and Technology <http://beallcenter.uci.edu/> in Irvine, CA and at The Getty
Center <http://www.getty.edu/> in Los Angeles.

International exhibitions include the Seoul Net & Film
Festival<http://www.senef.net/>in Korea and Videozone2
- The 2nd International Video Art Biennial <http://www.videozone.org.il/> in
Israel. The collaboration has earned grants and awards from the Creative
Capital Foundation <http://www.creative-capital.org/>,
Rhizome.org<http://rhizome.org/>,
Eyebeam <http://www.eyebeam.org/> and New Radio & Performing Arts,
Inc.<http://new-radio.org/>