[ARENA] Reunião Switching Metaphors - Grupo de Afinidade - 28 Junho - 14:00 - Gesto

cc_777 net.sapo.pt cc_777 net.sapo.pt
Terça-Feira, 24 de Junho de 2008 - 22:15:04 WEST

Meeting of Switching Metaphors
Affinity Group
Porto, 28th June 2008
Gesto Cooperativa Cultural               Rua Cândido Dos Reis nº 64 -
Saturday / 14:30                    Carla Cruz    919946118

"It is, of course, hard to climb when you are holding on to both ends
of a pole, simultaneously or alternately. It is, therefore, time to
switch metaphors." (Donna Haraway)

End of December 2006 Suzanne van Rossenberg, Carla Cruz, Nina Höchtl
and Francesco Ventrella submitted a proposal for an Affinity Group
about feminist art, queer and trans / gender activism at the European
Feminist Forum, to be held in Poland 2008. Quickly it became clear we
were the only ones in the field of contemporary art who pursued their
participation as an AG. Our proposal focused on finding a way to
analyze the tension between art and feminism (why one excludes the
other). We aimed to give account to the variety of strategies of
feminist artists and share them with other feminists in other fields.

Switching Metaphors already presented their work in Vienna, within
the exhibition 'cyber feminism past forward' curated by Rudolfine
Lackner and Evelin Stermitz; in Rome we organized a workshop for
artists and curators in 1:1projects; Suzanne made a presentation at
Kazakh meeting organized by EFF in Amsterdam and later on we
organized a private meeting in Leeds.

The Group as finished a call for contributions of feminist, queer and
trans / gender artists (and not) on economic strategies, it has been
written and translated into Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese and
Italian. The call is on the EFF website and sent out to our networks.
www.europeanfeministforum.org
The art works and stories in reaction to our question 'What could a
feminist currency look like?' will be collected and hosted by the
trans / gender platform (http://www.trans-genderplatform.nl). You
will find the call attached.

Most importantly our process has shown that the first step in
instigating emancipation through art is raising awareness amongst
artists about the relation between economic structures and their art.
To transform one's own precarious position into a tool for change --
often done in a humorous way--, is a way of making art less boring,
but what do we need in order to actually make a (epistemological)
standpoint against hetero-normative exhibiting and archiving of art
and improve the position of feminist, queer and trans / gender
artists (and not)?

If you are interested in discussing feminist strategies with us,
please take part in the meeting in Porto! We can tell each other
stories about our artistic strategies and explain each other how we
each take accountability for our fiction (painting, performances,
writing, curating, community art, etc.) from commissioned to self-
funded, from invisible to commercial.

The meeting will be held by Carla Cruz and Francesco Ventrella

Switching Metaphors is an Affinity Group led by Carla Cruz (PT), Nina
Höchtl (AUT), Suzanne Van Rossenberg (NL) and Francesco Ventrella (I).

http://allmyindependentwomen.blogspot.com
http://ic-28.blogspot.com
http://www.carlacruz.pt.to