[ARENA] GAZING INTO THE 21st CENTURY : CONFRONTING IMAGE NAIVETÉ

Andreia Magalhães a76magalhaes gmail.com
Quinta-Feira, 12 de Junho de 2008 - 13:26:56 WEST

 GAZING INTO THE 21st CENTURY : CONFRONTING IMAGE NAIVETÉ
Second international conference on Image Science in Goettweig
October 16th to 18th 2008
www.donau-uni.ac.at/dis

The DEPARTMENT FOR IMAGE SCIENCE (DIS) at DANUBE UNIVERSITY is pleased

to announce the second international Goettweig conference on Image
Science.

Never before has the world of images changed so fast, have we been
exposed to so many different image forms and transformed the way images
are produced so drastically. Images are advancing into new domains:
Television became a global zapping field of thousands of channels;
projection screens enter our cities, and cell phones transmit
micromovies in real time. We are witnessing the rise of the image into a
virtual spatial image. Science, politics and entertainment profit from
new dimensions in the creation of images and their emotive effects.

A multitude of new possibilities in producing, projecting and
distributing individual images has led to the formation of new image
genres. The spiral movement of image history from innovation,
understanding and iconoclasm results in the 21st Century in a global
interweaving. These major transformations have hit society to a large
extent unprepared and as we gradually start to recognize the demand to
address the current knowledge explosion appropriately, we face the
challenge to expand our forms of visualization, our *orders and
systems of visibility*, and to reflect critically and scientifically
on them.  While our written culture has produced a differentiated and
dedicated paedagogy, our society still lacks a conscious education
concerning images - up to a degree that we can speak of visual
illiteracy.

The interdisciplinary conference aims to step up to the challenge of
building a *visual inventory*. One goal of the Conference therefore
is to build cross disciplinary exchange between the Humanities AND the
Natural Sciences.

The conference covers the following topics and fields:

NEW IMAGE FORMS AND TECHNIQUES
(New visualization techniques in Nano-, Bio-, Neurosciences,
Architecture, Photography, Digital Collections Management, etc.)

NEW STRATEGIES IN VISUAL ARGUMENTATION
(in the Arts, Sciences and Humanities, Politics, Advertising, Comics,
Diagrams & Models, Visual Music, etc.)

NEW PRACTICES OF IMAGE TRANSFER
(Global economy, Tagging, Micromovies, Flickr, Second Life, You Tube,
Google Earth etc.)

<===== 5. CALL RE: LIVE Melbourne
=========================================>

MEDIA ART HISTORY 09 (Partner DBW)

Re:live

Third International Conference on the Histories of Media Art, Science
and Technology
Melbourne 26-29 November 2009
Call For Papers - Deadline 19th December 2008
Third International Conference on the Histories of Media Art, Science
and Technology. The next iteration of the Media Art History conference
is Re:live which is to be held in Melbourne, Victoria in 2009. The event
follows the success of the two previous Media Art History conferences,
re:fresh (Banff 2005) and re:place (Berlin 2007). The conference series
is an initiative of Leonardo/ISAST (International Society for Art,
Science and Technology) whose International Advisory Committee will
publicise the event and referee papers.
In developing the Re:live conference, we have established a national
committee, to promote awareness and interest in the event across
Australia. This committee is comprised of individuals who can drive
forward these newer connections and reconnect with the ongoing themes
established by the *re* conferences. Australia provides an excellent
geographic, geopolitical and geocultural space for hosting this
conference. It connects regionally with both Asian and Pacific cultures
and the ongoing exchange of media arts between, northern and southern
hemispheres.

Conference chairs: Dr Paul Thomas, Professor Sean Cubitt
www.mediaarthistory.org

<=====  6. PREISE ==================================>

ERICH-STENGER-PREIS/KÖLN:  Sektion Geschichte und Archive der Deutschen
Gesellschaft für Photographie (DGPh)

Die Sektion "Geschichte und Archive" der DGPh vergibt seit 1978 den
Erich-Stenger-Preis. Er dient dem Andenken an den Photohistoriker und
Sammler Erich Stenger (1878-1957), der zu den Mitbegründern der
Deutschen Gesellschaft für Photographie gehört. Er ist mit 3000 Euro
dotiert.

Einsendeschluss (Poststempel) ist der 1. Oktober 2008. Empfangsadresse
ist die Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Photographie,
Overstolzenhaus, Rheingasse 8-12, 50676 Köln.

<===== 7. TAGUNGEN/CONFERENCES/EXHIBITIONS==========================>

SYNTHETIC TIMES - MEDIA ART CHINA 2008
NATIONAL ART MUSEUM OF CHINA, BEIJING, CHINA
http://www.cinmae.org

June 5, 2008 - July 6, 2008
During the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the National Art Museum of China
will present *SYNTHETIC TIMES - Media Art China 2008* in its current
location at the center of Beijing. NAMOC is the only national art museum
in China that is dedicated to research,presentation and promotion of
modern and contemporary arts. *SYNTHETIC TIMES - Media Art China
2008*, scheduled from June 5th to July 6th, will be one of the most
important cultural events leading up to the Olympic Games in Beijing.
Collaborating Institutions: V2_Institute for the Unstable Media,
Rotterdam; ZKM Center for Art and Technology, Karlsruhe; Ars Electronica
Center, Linz, Plug-in, Basel; FACT, Liverpool; Tate, London; European
Media Art Festival, Osnebrück; MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), New York,
The MIT Press, Cambridge; Eyebeam, New York; Parsons School of Design,
New York

--------------------------------------

17th IPC Conference in Germany, 2008
*Spatial Simulation and the Future of the Panorama*

By separate mailing of 8 May (mailed by Yadegar Asisi*s
*Panometer* staff member Ms. Irina Schotte) the International
Panorama Council and Panometer GmbH recently invited all IPC members to
the 17th International Panorama Conference 2008 in Germany. The
conference will take place from 12 through 14 September 2008. It will be
framed by pre- and post-conference tours to panoramas in Germany,
Austria, Czech Republic and Poland from 6 - 10 and 15 - 18 September. On
11 September a special one day congress will be organised by the
Fraunhofer Institute for Factory Operation and Automation IFF, in
cooperation with our host Panometer GmbH. Further information about this
day will reach you as soon as possible.

---------------------------------------
POLITICS OF DESIGNING
--------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS
--------------------------------------

18.09. - 20.09.2008
Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Architecture, Copenhagen

Politics of Designing is organized in collaboration with Danish
Doctoral Schools of Architecture & Design (DKAD, www.dkad.dk) and the
Danish Centre for Design Research (www.designresearch.dk)

Politics of Designing broaches the issue of a possible political
practice, and translates it into the field of design and architecture.
Architecture and design are interwoven in power-discourses and are
placed within a political landscape. With regard to new conditions,
means, and methods of production (of architecture and design), this
entanglement  will be discussed and questioned at the seminar.

more information @ http://www.dkad.dk/

--------------------------------------

VISUAL CONFLICTS: Art History and the Formation of Political Memory

Proposals are invited for a one-day conference to be held on 7 March
2009 at University College London.

At a time when issues concerning memory formation and the visual
mediation of  conflict are attracting a great deal of attention, we wish
to explore ways in which visual culture has engaged with armed conflict
and politically-motivated acts of violence of all types.  The conference
aims to provide a platform for developing links between issues of memory
formation, the politics of violence and visual representation.

We wish to consider questions such as how pre-existing narratives of
conflict condition the way in which we derive meaning from
representations of politically motivated acts of violence and to explore
the implications for art historical inquiry posed by shifts in imaging
technologies and of the experience of war itself.

Abstracts of no more than 250 words, for 20 minutes presentations, from
academics and postgraduate students, should be submitted to both
conference organisers by 1 November 2008: Paul Fox (paul.fox  ucl.ac.uk)

--
Andreia Magalhães